英语文佛学美文阅读--Spreading the Delicate Scent Far and Wide

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-5-13 16:54:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
英语文佛学美文阅读--Spreading the Delicate Scent Far and Wide

Spreading the Delicate Scent Far and Wide

Ven. Ta-Yu

Translated by Jeannie Chen

Edited by Betsy Pross

In a corner of the Buddha Hall, there is a sweet osmanthus tree.

Even when the tree has the fewest leaves, it’s natural delicate and graceful curve and shape, always wildly catches people’s eyes.

Enter the fall, which is famous for its full moon in Chinese tradition, it is also the blossom season of sweet osmanthus.  Its green and vigorous leaves illustrate the great and powerful life force.  Lively and outrageously little white flowers, jumping out one by one between the leaves, as if, they want to compete with the surrounding colorful autumn?leaves, contesting their shades and beauties.  

When I was young, I liked to read Ms. Qi-Jun’s articles.  Small things, looking too worthless to mention, through her vivid and active style of writing, turned out to be outstanding.  The brilliant and interesting scripts of her childhood, again and again attracted me, who was brought up in a gray and bare city building.  

Among her articles, there was one story that described the sweet osmanthus tree grown in the front yard of her house and how her family made sweet osmanthus cake when she was little.  Her rich and lively description, made it so delicious even on white paper with black words.

After I became a nun, there were several big sweet osmanthus trees in front of my resident temple.  Every morning after breakfast, my duty was to clean up the large front yard.  Every time, the sweet osmanthus flowers covered the entire ground, I was always unwilling to sweep them away.  Under my sweeping broom, flowers blossom and wither, countless summers and winters, passed by momentarily.

Over ten years ago, under the perfect causes and conditions, I visited Gui-Lin (name of a county, means sweet osmanthus forest in Chinese), famous in all of China for the magnificent scenic mountains and lakes.  It was in August, the sweet osmanthus trees gathered to form a beautiful forest.  It was so beautiful and unforgettable.

Vicky asked me about sweet osmanthus flowers, based on my tiny knowledge that accumulated in the past, I told her: “The flowers coming out from the sweet osmanthus trees has a very delicate scent.  Even when it dropped down on the ground, the scent still remains.  Dried sweet osmanthus flowers, can make tea, saturating people’s heart.  Also, it can be used to prepare the delicious sweet osmanthus cake and the tasty sweet osmanthus source.”   After my explanations, Vicky had a very high regard for the Chinese art of eating.

I told Vicky, Buddhist practitioners should be also like sweet osmanthus flowers, maintaining the Bodhicita in different environments and beneficial to sentient beings all the time.  Their virtue, like the delicate scent, makes people joyful.  Their graceful attitude makes people comfortable.  An honestly practicing Bodhisattva, even he or she is in the dark corner, still he or she will not forget the Bodhisattva’s vows, beneficial self and others.  In this dustily ordinary world, why don’t we learn to be a Bodhisattva, cleaning up our self-attachment and sprinkling a drop of delicate scent to make people joyful?

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|手机版|佛学世界语网

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:11 , Processed in 0.059692 second(s), 15 queries .